- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Reading List
- Leadership Resources
- Equity/Eliminating Institutional Racism
- Additional Recommended Readings
- Aspen Institute Research
- Larson, R. (2008). Educational Leadership Development of Equity: Enhancing a Critical Theory of Action. Lewis and Clark College, 276, 3315888.
- Ronald, A., Heifetz, L. (2009). The Practice of Adaptive Leadership. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.
- Williams, D.A. (2013). Strategic Diversity Leadership: Activating Change and Transformation in Higher Education. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Austin Area Minority Media List
- Asset Map
- Diversity and Systemic Change: Promoting Gateway Success through Collaboration
- The Aspen Institute’s Ten Lessons for Taking Leadership on Racial Equity
- Pew Research Center. Wealth inequality has widened along racial, ethnic lines since end of the Great Recession.
- Racial Equity Tools is designed to support individuals and groups working to achieve racial equity. This site offers tools, research, tips, curricula and ideas for people who want to increase their own understanding and to help those working toward justice at every level – in systems, organizations, communities and the culture at large.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation. (January 2015). Race Equity and Inclusion Action Guide: Embracing Equity: 7 Steps to Advance and Embed Race Equity and Inclusion Within Your Organization.
Austin Quality of Life Commissions
- African American Quality of Life
- Asian American Quality of Life Advisory Commission
- Hispanic/Latino Quality of Life Advisory Commission
- University of Texas at Austin Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
- Singleton, G.E. (2015). Courageous Conversations about Race: A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin. A SAGE Company.
- Center for Community College Student Engagement (CCCSE) is pleased to announce the release of its newest report, Expectations Meet Reality: The Underprepared Student and Community Colleges. The report, with findings collected from more than 70,000 community college students across 150 institutions, explores the typical community college student experience in the areas of assessment, placement, and developmental education—and it also highlights innovative practices in work with underprepared students. Download the report, news release, and additional supporting materials at www.ccsse.org/nr2016.
- Dismantling Racism Works. dRworks is a collaborative of trainers and organizers who have been facilitating Dismantling Racism work for many years.
- Excelencia in Education
ETS. The Achievement Gap. Advancing Success for Black Men in College, Symposium Presentations.
- Implicit-associaton Test (IAT). Project Implicit. Harvard University. Available at https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
- Latino College Completion Rates Low Despite Enrollment by Sandra Lilley (NBC News)
- Latino Student Success (MDC)
- Race to Equity Toolkit. Eliminating Racism. Empowering Women. YWCA Madison. Racial Equity Institute. Optimizing institutional outcomes for everyone.
- Racial Equity Institute. Optimizing institutional outcomes for everyone.
- “Recognizing Microaggressions and the Messages They Send.” Excerpt from Sue, D.W. (2010.) Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender and Sexual Orientation. Wiley & Sons.
- Reid, F. (2014). Skin Deep [Documentary]. Iris Films. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrmC0MSov4
- Showing Up For Racial Justice. SURJ is a national network of groups and individuals organizing White people for racial justice.
- The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond focuses on understanding what racism is, where it comes from, how it functions, why it persists and how it can be undone (Undoing Racism workshops).
- Wah, L.M. (Producer, Director). (1994). The Color of Fear [Video]. Oakland, CA: Stir-Fry Productions.
- What Works for Latino Students in Higher Education Series (Excelencia in Education)
- WorldTrust. Social Impact through Film and Dialogue. (2015). Mirrors of Privilege: Making Whiteness Visible.(Film). Oakland, CA: World Trust Educational Services, Inc.
Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Bensimon, E. M. (2005). Closing the Achievement Gap in Higher Education: An Organizational Learning Perspective. New Directions for Higher Education, 99-111. Critical Race Theory
- Improving Outcomes for Men of Color in the Community College. (June 30, 2014).
- Huffpost Politics. This Simple Survey Could Help Close The Achievement Gap. One researcher is “cautiously optimistic” that it could improve student-teacher relationships around the world.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (2014). Hip Hop/Hip Hope: Reinventing Culturally Relevant Pedagogy [Video file]. Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_-_NDCiLLQ.
- The Education Alliance. “Principles for Culturally Responsive Teaching.” Available at www.alliance.brown.edu/tdl/tl-strategies/crt-principles.shtml.
Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation
- Meadville Lombard Theological School. Beloved Conversations. Various Topics.